Friday, September 22, 2023

Close Encounter of a Smelly Kind Part 2

 Part 2 (Okay, bear with me...I didn't know there were two parts, either...)

Leslie went out last night (well, now it's night before last) and closed all the big doors on the chicken houses due to the impending rain.
This morning (well, now it was yesterday morning) we went out to lower the water lines. Leslie was operating the drill motor in the center of the house and I was going to both ends to lower the lines into the slots in the migrating fences and then on down to raise the sight glasses.
I walked down towards the big door of House 1 to raise the sight glass. As I started to reach for it something dark caught my eye in the corner which was only about six feet away. I froze 'cause, you know...after the day before I was thinking that possum had finally caught up with the skunk and done him in! Oh, wait...was that a movement? I thought maybe he'd crawled in there and died. But no... its dark back was to me and it was curled up in the very corner...here I am again...is there no end to this madness?!
When I definitely see a slight movement I slowly remove my hand and back up a bit, wondering what I needed to do. Obviously, Leslie had closed him up in there and since he was trapped he did what anyone would do-curled up and took a nap. A nap, I might add, that I was disturbing.
As I stand there he raises his head and turns towards me...that stupid possum again!
Do they not know how to do anything but bare their teeth and hiss at you? I got the bright idea that if the big door was open he'd vamoose pretty fast. I walk over to the walkthrough door and go out and raise the door. Come back in and Leslie is coming down to see what I had been talking to for the last two or so minutes.
I figured he just might be mean enough to charge so I jumped up on the cool cell ledge, hanging on to the angle iron and telling him over and over to go, get out. He just sat there and hissed. I thought about hissing back but decided not to push my luck...just might sound challenging and any possum that would attack a skunk several times in a row just might decide I was easy game. We both had already asked politely, which didn't seem to work so we both had also thrown clods at him...just seemed to make him hiss more.
I got the bright idea of the broom I'd left in the doghouse in front so ran out to get it. As I'm coming back in Leslie tells me he's got it. Not sure how he managed to make him move when all my efforts fell by the wayside but whatever floated that possum's boat was okay with me as long as he left. He scooted under the door which I'd only raised a couple of feet and took off for the side. I figure he's the little critter that has a hole dug under one of the big fans at the back of that house. I sincerely hope he decides it's too 'busy' around there and packs up and leaves.... he needs a new home. Preferably one where he can take a nap, undisturbed. Like...maybe somewhere across the pasture or maybe even in the woods. I'd gladly lend a hand and help him move. 'Course, he may not like my kind of help...

No comments: